6th #46 Nick Woodbury - Kessel Racing Ferrari 458 Italia
    7th #51 John Bacho - Audi R8 LMS
    8th #45 Chris James - McLaren MP4-12C
    9th #00 Jimmy Broadbent - BMW Z4
    10th #07 Someguy_1 - Jack Daniel's McLaren MP4-12C
    11th #23 Garth Buchanan - Feint Motion BMW Z4
    12th #71 Cam Porter - Lamborghini Gallardo
    13th #3 Jon Backof - Marc VDS BMW Z4
    14th #5 Paul Schuman - Aston Martin Vantage (DNF)
    15th #33 Göran Strandh - Pirtek Racing Porsche 997 (DNF)

SPRINT RACE

1st #68 Anders Nilsson - AF Corse Ferrari 458 Italia
    2nd #18 Stephen Bailey - BMW Z4
    3rd #46 Nick Woodbury - Kessel Racing Ferrari 458 Italia
    4th #64 Kjell Stenbeck - Porsche 997
    5th #05 Steve Davis - Nissan GTR
    6th #52 Justin Allison - Audi R8 LMS
    7th #45 Chris James - McLaren MP4-12C
    8th #5 Paul Schuman - Aston Martin Vantage
    9th #23 Garth Buchanan - Feint Motion BMW Z4
    10th #71 Cam Porter - Lamborghini Gallardo
    11th #00 Jimmy Broadbent - BMW Z4
    12th #51 John Bacho - Audi R8 LMS
    13th #33 Göran Strandh - Pirtek Racing Porsche 997
    14th #3 Jon Backof - Marc VDS BMW Z4
    15th #07 Someguy_1 - Jack Daniel's McLaren MP4-12C (DNF)

MEDIA

STANDINGS

STATISTICS

FEATURE RACE RESULTS

SPRINT RACE RESULTS

SERVER REPLAYS

PHOTO GALLERY

RACE REPORT

Weeks of testing finally culminated in the kickoff of the SROL GT3 campaign! Out of the 21 signups for the Summer series, a respectable 15 of them would take the grid at the Autodromo di Monza.

Unlike the official test race in Laguna a week ago, many more competitors were on track during Practise to hone their setups before Qualifying. Paul Schuman was seen driving every marque in the field in an attempt to find the right fit. Even the fans in the stands could hear the sighs of the stewards coinciding with each car change, but eventually the Maryland man would decide on the screaming Aston Martin Vantage V12. The benefit of his indecision meant there were plenty of quality liveries for other drivers to use. Cheers Paul!

The fight for pole position was a fantastic duel between Stephen Bailey and Anders Nilsson with the two trading fastest lap times over mere hundredths. Near the end of the session, Nilsson lapped his fastest time of 1:47.010, which appeared enough to see him to the first grid position. Just as it all seemed settled, Bailey in the BMW Z4 found time in the 2nd sector to turn a 1:46.781 at the line! Justin Alisson rounded out the top 3 with a 1:47.543. Other notable mentions in Qualifying: Jimmy Broadbent in 4th using a PS3 controller, Paul Schuman finding form in the Aston for 6th and John Bacho ending up 8th. Bacho stated that “[the Audi] had a dreadful pace with race fuel. On Q fuel and settings it suddenly came alive to do what I wanted.” When asked about lapping slower than a driver using a game-pad, Bacho responded angrily to the news “He did what?! I need to quit racing. This is bullshit.”

Last minute instructions were given during Warmup about starting procedures; the stewards urging caution into the treacherous chicane of Prima Variante with less than operative brake and tyre temperatures. Thankfully this series uses a formation lap to help alleviate such problems, as well as time to address technical problems such as FFB or other steering wheel woes. There’s a build-up to the pressure of a standing start race that is eased of tension when everyone slowly drives a sighting lap. Drivers are able to prepare their car and themselves for the impending explosion of on track action.

After a calm formation lap, the five sets of lights illuminated, held, then extinguished for the start of SROL GT3 season! Instantly Nilsson’s 458 Italia shot into the lead to take the line for the first chicane. The Porsche of Göran Strandh reported problems with extremely poor frame-rates at certain sections, which might explain why his 997 barely moved off the line. Chris James in the McLaren did well to check up and avoid an accident. The field negotiated the first hurdle of Prima Variante quite well, though there was a concertina effect when Backof braked too late, touching the bumper of Someguy’s MP4-12C, and rippled back through to Strandh and James. Unfortunate for James, his car stalled just after impact and spent the rest of the race clawing his way back.

Frustrated with losing the lead, Bailey wasted no time to get around Nilsson. At the start of Lap 2 the pole man out-braked the Ferrari into the first chicane and barely made it stick, the BMW having to hop over the second orange ‘no-cut sausage’ located there. The gap between the two leaders fluctuated around 2 to 3 seconds for the entirety of the 43 minute race with neither driver given time to relax -- or so we thought until we learned from inside sources that Anders drank at least an entire beer on the long straights of Monza. Someone get that man an alcohol endorsement deal! Don’t drink and drive, unless you’re a Swede in a Ferrari racing for the lead in a GT3 series.

Bailey would claim the first 25 points with a victory!

Jimmy Broadbent, the talk of the paddock with his lack of a steering wheel for this event -- his Logitech G27 having issues  -- was forced to use a PS3 controller(!) for this weekend.. The one-lap pace of Jimmy’s BMW shocked everyone, but keeping the Z4 GT3 pointed in the right direction with analog sticks proved challenging throughout the 24 lap Feature race. On Lap 1 he spun harmlessly out of 6th position at Variante Ascari and found himself in 13th. By Lap 13 he pounced on Bacho’s bumbling Audi through Della Roggia and passed him at the apex of the first Lesmo to resume his original spot of 6th position once more. It was turning into a great comeback until Broadbent spun exiting the first chicane on Lap 17, leaving him to finish 9th overall. The next morning he told us that his hands were “more like claws” from the cramping caused by holding the game-pad for so long.

Nick Woodbury chased John Bacho for most of the race, the Ferrari of Woodbury was unable to make up any ground on the R8 down the straights. A slight mistake near the end of Lap 21 by Bacho saw the Ferrari 458 through to finish 6th. Chris James, who qualified 11th and was 15th after the stall mentioned above, made his way to the back of Bacho’s Audi for the final two laps to fight over 7th position. Bacho barely edged him out in a drag-race from Parabolica to the line to finish just 0.07s ahead!

Kjell Stenbeck jury-rigged a meatball to act as a load cell for his brake pedal before the race -- to good effect because he finished atop the podium! The key moment occured on Lap 11 when Stenbeck made a breathtaking (near dive-bomb) pass on Allison. Steve Davis looked strong in the early part of the race from 3rd position, but he lost control into Prima Variante on Lap 8, causing an incident with Allison’s Audi due to an unsafe rejoin by the Nissan GTR driver. No major damage was done to either car, though it might have been enough to compromise the Audi’s speed compared to Stenbeck’s Porsche.

Between races the Chief Steward spun the wheel to determine who would start on pole for the Sprint race. The result of the spin? 6th place of Nick Woodbury! He didn’t sound so delighted, an audible groan was heard through his headset upon hearing the news.

Once again, Anders Nilsson showed that he is the master of the clutch. Steve Davis jammed his GTR in the middle of the road to make for a three-wide approach into the first chicane behind Nick’s leading Ferrari. Quick thinking Anders -- not bad after a few beers, but again, he’s a pro beer drinking Swede -- reacted to move left onto part of the grass and swung around the outside, going from 5th to 2nd in one corner! The rest of the field slotted in nicely and had even less incident than the Feature race.

At the end of Lap 2, Nilsson capitalized on a rare mistake by Woodbury out of Parabolica for the lead. There was no doubt the Swede would finish first with such a healthy gap to his main early rival in the championship, Stephen Bailey, struggling to pass people in the BMW -- admittedly down on top speed compared to the rest. Bailey instead relied on clean lines and braking to overtake his way up to finish in 2nd position behind Nilsson. Nick Woodbury held on to 3rd to put two Ferrari’s on the podium in Italy!

Going into Variante Ascari for the opening lap, Chris James’ McLaren attempted a pass up the inside of Bacho. The MP4-12C wasn’t able to hold the inside of the corner and drifted into the Audi R8. They recovered after touching doors and continued on through the chicane only to meet again, this time making even harder contact together on the exit of Ascari. The Audi received the majority of the energy and spun off towards the wall. Schuman’s Aston narrowly avoided an accident as Bacho regained control in the run-off area. Neither car involved appeared to have any major damage.

The 11 lap Sprint race saw much better results from drivers like Paul Schuman, who crashed early in the previous race. He had a hard fought battle against Chris James for 7th with the Aston losing out by just under a tenth to James across the line. Garth Buchanan described his Feint Motion Z4 as feeling like “there’s an elephant resting on it”; still he recovered nicely to finish in 9th spot. Cam Porter was behind him in 10th, the Canadian expressed confusion concerning his setup for his Lamborghini Gallardo after the event, but Porter managed to top the solo speed trap at 175mph to fend off Bacho and Broadbent near the end of the race.

The biggest heartbreak of the weekend was when Someguy_1 crashed his McLaren out of 7th position at Parabolica on the final lap of the race. Speaking afterwards, SG said “I forgot where I was. By the time I saw the black marks and remembered, it was too late.” Indeed it was. He retired on the outside of the corner to avoid causing issues for those behind him.

The next race is on Saturday July 20th. We’ll be going to the Eifel region of Germany for the historic Nürburgring circuit. Not ‘The Green Hell’, but the GP circuit will be fun too!

Last edited by John Bacho on Fri 30 Aug - 7:52; edited 10 times in total
    John Bacho
    Admin

Re: ROUND ONE RESULTS -- Monza

Post by John Bacho on Sun 14 Jul - 21:36

STEWARD REPORT

Feature Race

• Lap 1 -- Concertina at the back of the field during the start between three cars. The cause is Backof being slightly late on the brakes and hits Someguy_1's bumper. No penalty given. Perhaps a lift and coast as you get close to the corner to have time to react to brake lights.

• Lap 2 -- Jimmy Broadbent contact with Backof into Della Roggia. Backof is ~7 car lengths ahead, brakes 175m out, Jimmy brakes at 140m. Jimmy closes on the Porsche so quickly and unexpectedly, yet appears to be in control and able to make the corner without Backof there. Jimmy couldn't have known the difference would be so great. Power of the PS3 controller? No penalty given.

• Lap 8 -- Steve Davis loses control at Prima Variante and spins coming off of the brakes and over the inside kerb. The Nissan ends up on the right side of the chicane, but decides to drive across the racing line into the path of Justin Allison. Five-place grid penalty for the next race for an unsafe rejoin.

Sprint Race

• Lap 1 -- Chris James and John Bacho have contact twice in Variante Ascari. James attempts a pass but drives slightly deep into the corner and bumps into the Audi. The second contact is at the exit of Ascari, James tries to avoid cutting the inside over the 'sleeping policemen' and Bacho tries to take the corner as if the McLaren isn't there. Racing incident, no penalty given.

• Lap 6 -- Bacho and Backof contact in Variante Ascari. Backof drives on the inside kerb of the right-hander, the Porsche appears to be drifting off. Bacho drives the normal line and Backof rejoins at the only place he can at the time. No penalty given.

• Lap 8 -- Broadbent attempts a pass on Backof into Prima Variante. Jimmy's car brakes alongside the other BMW; Backof turns in to chop off Jimmy's nose and causes Broadbent to spin. Five-place grid penalty for the next race for avoidable contact. Passing drivers need a line for the corner.

Last edited by John Bacho on Sat 24 Aug - 11:27; edited 6 times in total

Anders Nilsson

Post by Anders Nilsson on Sun 14 Jul - 22:29

Love your report m8 Smile
    Nick Woodbury

Post by Nick Woodbury on Sun 14 Jul - 22:44

Wonderful report. Yay!

Looking forward to the Nerrrrburrrgggg ring.
    Göran Strandh

Post by Göran Strandh on Sun 14 Jul - 22:45

Well written. Ill enjoyed the reading and ill be back in the next race hoping the strange stuttering is gone.
    CaptGimp

Post by CaptGimp on Sun 14 Jul - 23:24

Love this shit! And if I see that elephant again...

Cam Porter

Post by Cam Porter on Mon 15 Jul - 3:31

Cool stuff!  I didn't really do much testing or practice.  I'm here for fun.  I made minor tweaks to default set, including low downforce.  I think I was running 1/2.  Just wanted to stay tidy and not ruin anyone's race.  I had brief battles with a couple of other cars, but I was just hot-lapping by myself for most of the feature race.  Sprint race was a bit more fun, with lots of cars around.  Although, Chris James passed me like he was in a different class!  Nicely done.  Congrats to the winners and see you next week.
    Someguy 1

Post by Someguy 1 on Mon 15 Jul - 4:00

It was nice sharing the track with you again Cam.  I knew you must have been running 1 wing when you past me during the sprint race.  I noticed in the server stats Bacho posted that you started the race with a full load of fuel.  That probably added a second to your laptimes.  The rest of us used a half tank.Wink 

In race 1 I used a 2-6 wing setup, but realised when Broadbents BMW passed me in a straight line that I should probably go lower for the sprint race.  So I switched to 1-4 and was almost able to keep up with Chris James.  I might have been able to hold him off, but after hitting the curb in della Roggia I lost my momentum and messed up the first Lesmo, allowing everyone by.  Later I just flat out lost my mind and drove off the track at nearly full speed.  I...I don't know...Neutral 

Cam Porter

Post by Cam Porter on Mon 15 Jul - 4:20

I had no idea how much fuel I would use, so I just filled 'er up. As I said, I didn't do much testing and I'm not taking it too seriously. jocolor 
    John Bacho
    Admin

Post by John Bacho on Mon 15 Jul - 4:43

Everyone will have to excuse my delays when it comes to writing the preview & result threads. After administrating and driving the races, I usually don't want to do all the tedious post events right away.

I'll try my best to get the results done on Sunday, and hopefully have the preview up on Monday. This kind of work is a one-man operation that taxes several parts of my brain. I'm toying with the idea of releasing the raw information such as results, standings and replays right away and filling in the rest later.

Next up is the Stewards Report, sizing all of the max quality screenshots I took around the circuit, finishing the points spreadsheet and then gettin the Nuerburg GP preview up. Yay Monday!

It's a good thing I don't work! Very Happy

Last edited by John Bacho on Wed 17 Jul - 11:01; edited 1 time in total
    Nick Woodbury

Post by Nick Woodbury on Tue 16 Jul - 23:52

Tis' nothing to fret about Bacho!

You are doing a fine job here in this establishment! Yes.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 18 Nov - 6:18