John Bacho
    Admin

ROUND THREE Preview -- July 27th @ Spa-Francorchamps

Post by John Bacho on Wed 24 Jul - 17:50

SIM RACE ONLINE GT3
    SEASON 1 - ROUND 3
    July 27th @ Spa-Francorchamps

INTRO

Bonjour my vrienden! Well what do you know? It's time for Round 3 of the SROL GT3s! This time we're racing for an hour-and-a-half through the Ardennes. The layout of this version uses the modern bus-stop chicane. It's not my favourite, but it presents more opportunities to pass. Also, the garages and start/finish line are the Formula One style -- first set of garages and pit-lane; empties out after La Source.

The turnout last week was a bit low, so this weekend I'm hoping to see more of you on the grid! No hard feelings when real-life pops up, those events always come first! Still, if time is limited for a Saturday race, try to practise earlier in the week to feel prepared.

We're going to use a "Manual Rolling Start" for this race instead of a Standing Start. This is a procedure we developed awhile ago that we've since brought with us to various leagues. I'll go into more depth below in the Notes section.

A couple of key championship contenders will be on vacation for this race. That will mean even more points for the current leader Anders Nilsson. Look out for Göran Strandh, Paul Schuman, Fiorino and Nabil Abusharr (hoping Nabil can make it!) to be strong here since they love long flowing circuits. It's difficult to pick a clear advantage in the field with the contrasting sectors of Spa. Despite the long straights, the middle section demands a fair amount of downforce. A frontwing of 2 and a rearwing setting on 7 are likely to be used throughout the field.

STANDINGS

HISTORY

"Where did all the pictures go for this preview?
    "Honestly? Belgium isn't that identifiable via internet media. Beer, Brussels and the Battle of the Bulge. Not much else to go on."

Het Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps-circuit is het waar de Formula One Grand Prix van België, en van de 24 Uren van Spa en 1000 km Spa endurance races.

Il est également le foyer de la toute manifestation club de Volkswagen, 25 Heures de Spa, géré par la Uniroyal Fun Cup. Il est l'un des hippodromes les plus difficiles dans le monde, principalement en raison de son caractère rapide, vallonné et sinueux. Spa est un circuit préféré de beaucoup de pilotes de course et les fans.

Het oude circuit van Spa was in wezen een snelcursus met drivers beheren veel hogere gemiddelde snelheden dan op andere circuits, een factor die Spa zeer populair vanaf het begin gemaakt. Destijds, de Belgen trots op het hebben van een zeer snel circuit, en gemiddelde snelheden te verbeteren, de voormalige langzaam bergop U-bocht aan de onderkant van de Eau Rouge kreek vallei, genaamd de Ancienne Douane (tot 1920, was er een Duitse Rijk douanekantoor hier), werd kort gesneden met een snellere sweep recht omhoog de ​​heuvel, genaamd de Raidillon.

Jusqu'en 2000, il était possible de se déplacer sur la piste de course quand il était encore un chemin public. Au Eau Rouge, on a laissé circulation en direction sud à utiliser le coin montée célèbre, tandis que le trafic opposé descente a dû utiliser l'ancienne route et demi-tour derrière les grands stands, regagnant la piste de course au bas de l'Eau Rouge.

NOTES

• MANUAL ROLLING START -- There is no formation lap assigned by the server; the lights will go green and the field will form into a single-file line behind the leader. It’s essentially a pace lap under race conditions. The pole-sitter cannot exceed 100 mph / 160 kmh. The race will officially go green for each car exiting the FINAL chicane before the start/finish line.

As a 1.5 hour race, this method emphasizes safety on the first lap through corners like La Source and Eau Rouge. It’s a long enough event that cars will shake out their positions on pace & strategy in their own time by avoiding unnecessary dangers presented on Lap 1.

• The entry to pit-lane is located to the right of the final chicane. Please practise several entries because this is one of the tightest and most treacherous I’ve ever seen. It winds & changes width in several spots.

• The total lap count is somewhere around 40. I sincerely doubt anyone can drive the full race without taking tyres. A couple of the lower fuel burning cars like the BMW and Porsche may be able to complete the race on one 115 L tank of fuel. Do your own testing to make sure Smile.

• There will be a slightly longer warm-up session to check pit boxes. It’s likely that people share due to rFactor being stupid at times; we’ll have to explain how to overcome that problem (e.g. stopping in your box in a way that allows for 2 cars to be serviced and/or whisper to the person you share with and divulge what lap you plan to stop).

• Jon Backof and Steve Davis have yet to serve their 5-grid place penalty.

TIMES

17:00 GMT -- Official Practise begins
    19:00 GMT -- Qualifying (12:00 Pacific / 15:00 Eastern)
    19:15 GMT -- Warmup
    19:30 GMT -- Endurance Race -- 1.5 hour

* Times are approximate & subject to change depending on technical issues, drivers finishing and small differences in race length.

Last edited by John Bacho on Sun 13 Oct - 22:24; edited 15 times in total
    John Bacho
    Admin

youbertuber

Last edited by John Bacho on Wed 24 Jul - 18:08; edited 1 time in total
    John Bacho
    Admin

Technical bits

• Rule of thumb: the darker grass bits aren't a part of the track. Only in Pouhon w/ the bright green artificial grass is it legal to use. Over 1.5 hours it'll be tough to stay within the lines (especially in corners like Stavelot 1 & Blanchimont), please try to avoid repeated cuts.

It may seem a bit strict, but there is a lot of time to be gained by just saying 'screw it' and elongating the curves.

• Stay right along the wall on the run to Eau Rouge after your pitstop.
    Göran Strandh

Re: ROUND THREE Preview -- July 27th @ Spa-Francorchamps

Post by Göran Strandh on Thu 25 Jul - 11:39

Im a bit curius.
    As this is a longer race with no sprintrace after it (I assume) how about the points for the race? Is it the same as for a normal feature race ir are the feature and sprint points system combined for the race?

Anders Nilsson

Post by Anders Nilsson on Thu 25 Jul - 20:28

same as normal feature Göran
    John Bacho
    Admin

Post by John Bacho on Thu 25 Jul - 20:40

Anders is correct! I didn't want to do double points or anything crazy. In reality I'd like all of these races to be an hour and a half, but I know people don't have that kind of time.
    Nick Woodbury

Post by Nick Woodbury on Thu 25 Jul - 20:47

Will there infact be a pre pre race race? Like at Monza?
    John Bacho
    Admin

Post by John Bacho on Thu 25 Jul - 21:11

Nick Woodbury wrote:Will there infact be a pre pre race race? Like at Monza?

If there's people practising on Thursday or Friday then that would be fun. Especially for those that might be confused about the manual rolling start.

Chris James

Post by Chris James on Thu 25 Jul - 23:53

Are Thursday and Friday is the best times to find the practice server populated? If not, when?
    John Bacho
    Admin

Post by John Bacho on Fri 26 Jul - 0:11

Chris James wrote:Are Thursday and Friday is the best times to find the practice server populated?  If not, when?  

The swedes are on throughout the week. I don't think they're into a lot of games, so it's mostly just practise! The rest of us are on fairly random from what I can tell.
    Göran Strandh

Post by Göran Strandh on Fri 26 Jul - 9:09

John Bacho wrote:
    Chris James wrote:Are Thursday and Friday is the best times to find the practice server populated?  If not, when?  

The swedes are on throughout the week. I don't think they're into a lot of games, so it's mostly just practise! The rest of us are on fairly random from what I can tell.
    I do play Wordfeud too...Shocked 
    Nick Woodbury

Post by Nick Woodbury on Fri 26 Jul - 20:15

lol!!
    Göran Strandh

Post by Göran Strandh on Sat 27 Jul - 13:47

I'm sorry to say that I have to stay out of the race today. I have a terrible pain in the back that is getting worse so I can barely sit. Good luck all.

Anders Nilsson

Post by Anders Nilsson on Sat 27 Jul - 14:39

Göran Strandh wrote:I'm sorry to say that I have to stay out of the race today. I have a terrible pain in the back that is getting worse so I can barely sit. Good luck all.

Sad so sry to hear m8. Was looking forward to chase you around the track.Hope your back is better soon, take care .

/Anders
    Justin52

Post by Justin52 on Sat 27 Jul - 19:58

Well that was a balls up of note.

Thanks for restarting the server to attempt a second start for me, but I'm really sorry for any crap I caused on the second restart. The timer was ticking down and I clicked race and got the "synchronizing game" message and then next thing it looked like everyone drove through my stationary car. At some point here my connection to TS was also dropped.

I just got off the phone to my ISP and there's a problem with the antenna on the tower servicing my area which was supposed to be fixed on Friday already. He also reset my connection on their side, which means I can actually use the internet again. It's an intermittent problem apparently which would explain why it was okay for most of practice.

Once again, I'm really sorry for any screw up's that my have occurred as a result of me!

Anders Nilsson

Post by Anders Nilsson on Sat 27 Jul - 21:41

That was a hard fought race ,Jimmy did a splendid race with the gamepad all cred m8 Cool . But finally i managed to get by and bring home the victory:cheers: . Great fun thx for the race all .

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 18 Nov - 6:22