4th #46 Nick Woodbury - Kessel Racing Ferrari 458 Italia
    5th #64 Kjell Stenbeck - Porsche 997
    6th #45 Chris James - McLaren MP4-12C
    7th #71 Cam Porter - Lamborghini Gallardo
    8th #51 John Bacho - Audi R8 LMS
    9th #23 Garth Buchanan - Feint Motion BMW Z4
    10th #3 Jon Backof - Marc VDS BMW Z4
    11th #47 Dan Minges - McLaren MP4-12C
    12th #10 James Goldston - SPIN DOCTOR Racing Porsche 997 (DNF)
    13th #00 Jimmy Broadbent - BMW Z4 (DNF)

SPRINT RACE

1st #64 Kjell Stenbeck - Porsche 997
    2nd #46 Nick Woodbury - Kessel Racing Ferrari 458 Italia
    3rd #68 Anders Nilsson - AF Corse Ferrari 458 Italia
    4th #35 Nabil Abusharr - Nissan GTR
    5th #5 Paul Schuman - Aston Martin Vantage
    6th #00 Jimmy Broadbent - BMW Z4
    7th #3 Jon Backof - Marc VDS BMW Z4
    8th #47 Dan Minges - McLaren MP4-12C
    9th #10 James Goldston - SPIN DOCTOR Racing Porsche 997
    10th #51 John Bacho - Audi R8 LMS (DNF)
    11th #45 Chris James - McLaren MP4-12C (DNF)
    12th #71 Cam Porter - Lamborghini Gallardo (DNF)
    13th #23 Garth Buchanan - Feint Motion BMW Z4 (DNF)

MEDIA

STANDINGS

STATISTICS

FEATURE RACE RESULTS

SPRINT RACE RESULTS

SERVER REPLAY

PHOTO GALLERY

RACE REPORT

Editor’s note: Trying to finish these in a timely fashion (i.e. before the start of the Season 2). We now join our regularly scheduled program already in progress…

...just as Qualifying ended, Anders managed to pull a lap directly out of his frozen Swedish ass to snatch pole position away from Stenbeck by a mere 0.086 of a second! The Georgia fans fired their flintlocks into the air w/ a hoot and a holler, whistled dixie through their two remaining teeth and made out with their closest relative in a joyous & incestuous celebration. The Viking Swede was well on his way to winning his first SROL championship.

Speaking of past champions, many of their names are now forgotten like the many priceless tomes & facts burned up in the Library of Alexandria. Now all we have left are hazy memories and vague recollections. When in doubt, the rule of thumb is to assume Stephen Bailey won it. Didn’t we do a 2CV league? Or some VW GTIs? Yeah, Bailey probably stomped us in those too. Maybe we need a cup. Not the Stanley Cup of course.

The Bailey Cup. I like that.

For the second time this season we instituted the Manual Rolling Start; initially at Turn 10, but later revised to Turn 7 after a failed start on advisement from the pole-sitter. Whoever made this track didn’t intend for standing starts with the close proximity of the cars on the grid. Let’s just say I received a few protests before the race began about an odor emanating from a certain Aston Martin in 3rd. Whatever it was he ate -- which I’m just going to guess was from the Waffle House on Green St. in Braselton -- must have given him the fuel to attack, because this was the first time someone other than Bailey (blessed be His name) and Teske looked to combat his crushing glacial Swedish resolve for plunderous victory. He needs a viking beer helmet.

Stenbeck spun out of a podium spot at Turn 7 early in the race. I don’t even think he can blame the whisky (this time). It looked like he caught too much grass on the exit and looped it ‘round. He made a solid effort to get his spot back from Chris James for P5 at least. It’s worth watching Nick Woodbury hassle Nabil Abusharr for 3rd, and eventually the pair of them nipping at the heels of Schuman by the end. If I could accuse Woodbury of anything, it’d be that he’s too nice! Get a frothy frenzy going, man!

Oh hey, i was involved in a fun Feature battle too! Bacho spent the majority of the race catching up to Buchanan’s BMW Z4. Once in reach, the two slowed each other up to inadvertantly allow Cam Porter to jump in on the action. Ultimately Garth would lose a position at Turn 10 and half-spin his way out of the brawl, leaving only Porter in the Gallardo to duke it out against the Audi R8 of John Bacho for P7. The author of this fine piece would give way to Cam on Lap 28 out of fairness to the track limits. Bacho is known for his modest soul and felt obligated to give Porter the position after taking far too much run-off at Turn 5. Still, the Audi wouldn’t give up without another inseparable five lap duel. Like the Nürburgring and Silverstone events, Bacho just couldn’t force a move and had to settle. Sad face.

Here I am trying to keep these reports short, and suddenly it’s exploded again. Sigh.

The wheel of luck landed on...John Bacho…to start the Sprint race on pole. Yeah yeah, shutup.

Well this is where the race gets a bit weird. So Bacho is sitting on the grid ready to take the field out onto the manual pace lap, and for some reason his Audi inches forward before the lights go green. Apparently the robotic steward douche canoes awarded him a penalty because of it! Unaware of this “gift”, the field made their way to Turn 7 when an unfortunate event transpired. Eager to get on the throttle for the start, Chris James accidentally gunned it a tad too early and nailed the rear of Cam Porter’s Canadian flag liveried Lamborghini, sending his car into the barrier and breaking his splitter. James hastily parked his McLaren next to Cam and they both DNF’d.

Not only did those three have their races proper fucked before it began, but Garth Buchanan was busy taking a work call and missed the start! Picard ran out of faces to palm!

Still, the race was pretty exciting to watch despite the first lap heartaches. Woodbury hounded, harassed and harried Stenbeck’s leading Porsche 997 for all 16 laps. Kjell successfully defended his fortuitous leading position against Nick and gained his first race win at SROL! Now is when you drink the whisky, at the end of a race, not before!

Right behind them was a drag-out knock-down street-sweeping free-for-all between Schuman, Nilsson and Abusharr. Honestly I’m amazed they kept their cars on the road as much as they did. All of the action appeared sporting w/ the Gentleman’s Agreement coming into play a couple of times to ensure fair treatment. On the final lap, the trio approached the Turn 10 chicane in close proximity. Desperate for racing pride, Schuman and Nilsson clattered together in the braking zone as Abusharr braked a tad too late into the rear of Nilsson. As the dust settled, Nilsson’s aggressive driving paid off, netting him yet another podium with Nabil and Schuman immediately behind.

Maybe it was a bit more “elbows out” than I would have liked, but we’re in Georgia after all. Sometimes ya gotta just let ‘em race and let the chips fall where they may. Where’s my Budweiser? And hands off my sister, she’s mine.

Now all we need to do is engrave “Anders Nilsson” on the Bailey Cup. Which means I need a tattoo gun. C’mere Mr. Bailey.

Last edited by John Bacho on Sun 1 Sep - 14:34; edited 12 times in total
    John Bacho
    Admin

Re: ROUND FIVE RESULTS -- Road Atlanta

Post by John Bacho on Sat 10 Aug - 21:58

STEWARD REPORT

Feature Race

• Backof fails to adhere to the blue flag on numerous occasions, getting in the way of Schuman & Abusharr at the chicane; Stenbeck and Chris James for over half of a lap without attempting to let off the gas early or get on it late. 5-grid place penalty for neglecting the blue flag.

Sprint Race

• Chris James taps the back of Cam Porter going into Turn 7 before the race has begun. Cam breaks his splitter and retires from the race. C. James retires as well, which is gentlemanly of him. Nonetheless, James receives a penalty. He must start from the back of the grid for the next race (even if it's next season).

• Lap 16 -- Nilsson and Schuman have contact on the final lap at the chicane. Racing incident, no penalties necessary.

Last edited by John Bacho on Sat 24 Aug - 11:30; edited 3 times in total
    John Bacho
    Admin

Post by John Bacho on Sat 10 Aug - 22:10

CONGRATULATIONS TO THE VIKING SWEDE
    Anders Nilsson -- SROL GT3 Season 1 CHAMPION

Well deserved, mate, you drove your ass off! The only misstep you had was in Silverstone with 2 DNF's (both out of your control), otherwise it's been all podiums from consistently quick laps for the entire season. You had to make some passes in there too, it's not like it was a done deal every time.

And there's still Bathurst to come!

Last edited by John Bacho on Sat 10 Aug - 22:45; edited 3 times in total

Chris James

Post by Chris James on Sat 10 Aug - 22:27

Cam, please accept my most sincere apology.
    John Bacho
    Admin

Post by John Bacho on Sat 10 Aug - 22:34

First I want to apologize to Cam Porter for changing the starting area for the manual rolling start in the Feature race. Initially I wanted everyone to begin racing at the exit of the chicane, Turn 10, but there was a concertina shemozzle as Anders slowed the field up sharply. It definitely caused a knock-on effect that crashed a couple of cars.

Schuman and I agreed to reset the race, and I instituted the start change via a suggestion from Nilsson to move the green to Turn 7 instead -- mostly because I wasn't able to see what exactly happened from my position, plus I was deferring to his judgement as the leader of the pace lap. Unfortunately I wasn't able to convey that change in procedure to Porter in time for him to read it, and I'm sorry if that made the race confusing for the restart. For the rest of the server on Teamspeak I think it was clear, but I had a hard time explaining it verbally and then typing it up simultaneously.

It's doubly wounding because Cam was knocked out of 2nd position at Turn 7 on the very start of the Sprint race by Chris James. Hopefully no hard feelings there, it looked like an honest mistake. I was trying to avoid hitting the brakes too much before then to eliminate another accordion effect; others might have been a bit too eager to get on the throttle.

I'm trying to think of a way to initiate the start of the race that is fair and clear to everyone. Maybe by using a chat message (since not everyone is on Teamspeak, or they mute themselves on the start) next time to give the entire field the Green rather than 'whenever you exit'. The latter might be a bit too vague.

At Bathurst we'll likely go back to a Standing Start. It's a tight grid, but not nearly as packed as Road Atlanta. There will be future tracks that demand a Rolling Start of course, especially if we start up a DRM league once the new version is released.

Last edited by John Bacho on Sun 11 Aug - 6:27; edited 1 time in total

Cam Porter

Post by Cam Porter on Sun 11 Aug - 3:37

Please don't change the rules after the cars are on track. I didn't see the "go after turn 7" message.

I feel there is no excuse for wrecking a fellow driver before the race even really starts.

I expect these things won't happen again.

Race one was very enjoyable. Chasing down Bacho and Buchanan was fun. Rear tires were down to two squares by the end--pretty greasy. Sorry to see Garth spin. Race two, well, I had favourable grid position and was hoping for a good race, but it was over before it even started. I had dinner guests coming over so I decided to clean up the house instead of hot lap with a busted front splitter. See you next week.
    John Bacho
    Admin

Post by John Bacho on Sun 11 Aug - 6:38

I had a lot of fun attacking & defending in race 1 with Garth; also lots of sweating while following Cam around for the last few laps. I cut too much of Turn 5 with Porter behind me and decided to lift a bit to let him by to begin the battle. I had the hardest time sticking with him through Turn 5 and 7 for some reason. I felt aero push maybe? I don't know, but the whole car would wash away when I closed up on that Lambo wing.

In race 2 I guess I rolled off my starting position before the lights went green, receiving a drive-through penalty that I wasn't about to restart. Only now do I remember what the penalty clearing command is. Harumph.

I watched a fair amount of the server replays and enjoyed most of the racing I saw out there. Obviously there's a couple moments I am probably not going to give warnings about. Just wagging my finger at bad behaviour doesn't always get the message across! Smile

Also Cam, I remember you said you don't have a headset. Don't let that keep you from the TS3 server if that's the only limitation. We're a pretty chatty bunch, but during Qualifying I demand that everyone shutup. Also I try to recommend that everyone bind a key to 'mute speakers'. If you're just not into voice chat, that's fine as well, but there's a few funny buggers & interesting personalities on here. Plus they ask additional questions in warmup sessions that might be useful to know.

Cam Porter

Post by Cam Porter on Sun 11 Aug - 16:10

I used Teamspeak without a USB headset once. It required me to turn rFactor's volume way down just to hear the chat. I was not satisfied with that. I will not be using Teamspeak for the foreseeable future.

Chris James

Post by Chris James on Sun 11 Aug - 17:18

Cam, there is a plugin for TS called "Volume Control" that will temporarily turn down rFactor or any other program you're running when someone speaks, then the volume goes up as soon as they're done.  You can control how much volume is cut, and for how long after.  It is a great feature of TS, and it's really easy to setup.  If you want more info about it, let me know.  I, too, used to have to turn rFactor way down to hear my teammates, and that was a drag.  For me, problem solved.

Cam Porter

Post by Cam Porter on Sun 11 Aug - 18:43

Wha? How is the volume cutting in and out any better? That sounds worse, in my opinion. scratch

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 25 Jul - 10:44