John Bacho
    Admin

SEASON 2, ROUND TWO Preview -- September 14th @ Wanneroo

Post by John Bacho on Tue 10 Sep - 23:04

SIM RACE ONLINE GT3
    SEASON 2 - ROUND 2
    September 14th @ Wanneroo / Barbagallo

INTRO

It was only a few weeks ago we were racing in Australia for the finale of Season 1 at Bathurst! I'm pretty sure Wanneroo/Barbagallo (forgive me, I'm going to interchangeably switch between them randomly) is quite different to Mount Panorama. Lap times will definitely be the shortest of the Schedue, so expect a lot of laps in the race.

This track has two critical corners to negotiate for a good lap time:

-Turn 4 seems like a corner you can go wide, late apex and hook it back in line, but in every car I've driven I get better speed by hugging the inside (past the storm drain) as closely as I can before it transitions to the tricky Turn 5 at the top of the hill.

-Turn 6 (is it called the Dipper? It's confuisng since Bathurst has a famous "Dipper" as well) is key as it leads to the longest longest straight on the circuit. You'll want to carry as much speed into the apex, avoid touching the inside kerb and figure out the precise moment to feed the throttle in to get out of the giant bowl. The grass & sand is treacherous if you push too early; too late and you might break loose on the undulations on the right-side.

After the opening round at Mosport, a single point separates the leading pair of Stephen Bailey and Nick Woodbury for the GT3 Season 2 Championship. The only one missing from this fight is Anders Nilsson, our first GT3 Champion, who was a bit under the weather at Mosport and made a rare mistake in the Feature race. He recovered well to win the Sprint race from pole, but the points in the second race are significantly decreased compared to the first.

I expect another close fought race here throughout the field. Sub one-minute lap times and a relatively easy circuit to learn & drive will definitely make for a tight Qualifying grid -- maybe even more so than Mosport where the Top 10 deviating by about one second.

HISTORY

Barbagallo Raceway is a motorsport circuit located in Wanneroo, approximately 50 kilometres (31 mi) north of Perth in Western Australia.

The circuit was originally known as Wanneroo Park and the first race meet took place in March 1969. Initially the major race per year was a 6 hour Le Mans style race for sedans and sports cars known as the Six Hour Le Mans. However as interest dulled in that event, production car racing took over as the major race type.

In 1979, the Australian Grand Prix was held for the first and so far only time at Wanneroo Park which coincided with the opening of the new pits and paddock area to the west of the circuit. The Grand Prix was won by South Australian Johnnie Walker driving a Lola T332 Formula 5000. Walker was the last driver to win the AGP driving a Formula 5000.

In 1992, it was decided that a short circuit would be constructed by linking Turn 5 on the current circuit to the back straight forming a new 1.7 kilometres (1.1 mi) long circuit. This extension was funded by prominent West Australian motorsport identity Alf Barbagallo and hence the circuit name was changed to Barbagallo Raceway Wanneroo. The short circuit allowed for an increase in the types of racing including the inclusion of truck racing and also allowed events to be run at night.

The circuit was completely resurfaced in 2004 and this saw almost all lap records broken in the first few months of 2004. The surface changed from an abrasive surface which was renowned for being very hard on tyres to a grippy, smooth surface.

NOTES

• Standing start w/ a Formation lap.

• Standard cutting rules apply. There will only be one picture related to shortcuts for this circuit since the exit of the final corner is frequently abused across many leagues (and sometimes real-life).

• 60 L or 15.8 gal of petrol should be enough to get you through the Feature race. All of the engines are relatively similar, but if for some reason I'm wrong...well. This was simply a nice suggestion!

• I'm anticipating Qualifying lap-times around 0:53.x, and probably a lot of Race laps in the 0:54.x range.

• The server allows Low Anti-Lock Brakes by pressing F9 on your keyboard. The reasoning behind this is that the brake pressure in v1.2 is locked at 100% -- an issue that has been bothering a few drivers with completely different wheels. If it makes any purists feel better, the real Blancpain GT3 cars have it (and traction control, which isn't necessary in this mod) as well.

I highly recommend enabling this aid.

• Chris James (Road Atlanta) and Jon Backof (Road Atlanta) have yet to serve their respective back of the grid and 5-grid place penalties. Warnings are active for Paul Schuman and Jimmy Broadbent.

• New rule added 9/10: Warnings via the Steward Report are active until the end of a driver's subsequent race. Accruing another Warning in this period will result in an automatic 5-grid place penalty during the next Qualifying period. The system resets after the penalty is applied. For simplicity, Warnings from Season 1 will not count.

TIMES

17:00 GMT -- Official Practise begins
    19:00 GMT -- Qualifying (12:00 Pacific / 15:00 Eastern)
    19:15 GMT -- Warmup
    19:25 GMT -- Feature Race -- 49 laps
    20:10 GMT -- Warmup*
    20:20 GMT -- Sprint Race* -- 24 laps

* Times are approximate & subject to change depending on technical issues, drivers finishing and small differences in race length.

Last edited by John Bacho on Sun 13 Oct - 22:26; edited 13 times in total
    John Bacho
    Admin

youtube links, ya douche.

Post by John Bacho on Tue 10 Sep - 23:04

YOUTUBE

Last edited by John Bacho on Tue 10 Sep - 23:57; edited 2 times in total
    John Bacho
    Admin

Technical bits

Post by John Bacho on Tue 10 Sep - 23:11

TECHNICAL

@ Turn 7, please try to avoid going that far. If you flub up the last corner it's even easier to try and bypass the entire kerb and fly over it. Like any cutting, a handful of errors in the race is fine, but doing it habitually and/or intentionally as your normal line will get noticed and penalised.

Straddling that high & rounded final kerb with the undertray of your car isn't advised from a safety point of view. The car will bottom out and skate across it in a weird way. So practise nailing your personal brake marker and ensure you're taking the quickest way around it by lightly riding the kerb with your left side tyres.

Also note that the last corner is probably the best place to pass people. If you're making a move on the inside, try to assume the other car might be pushed wide (e.g. avoiding an incident, braking too late or poor spatial awareness inherent to sim racing) out over the kerb and want to hop back before the grass and wall fast approach. Be respectful and give them a lane to rejoin if you suspect they're over there. Saying "they left the circuit and I'm entitled to my line" is no excuse for squeezing someone off.

Last edited by John Bacho on Wed 11 Sep - 3:54; edited 2 times in total
    John Bacho
    Admin

Re: SEASON 2, ROUND TWO Preview -- September 14th @ Wanneroo

Post by John Bacho on Wed 11 Sep - 0:08

On an unrelated note towards the actual racing that we have so much fun doing, there's a select few that I've talked to personally via TS3 or PM that have informed me they are only available for a couple races, so this isn't direct towards you! It'd just be nice to know in advance if the others I haven't communicated with can give a heads up about their availability in the preview threads.

We don't need reasons or excuses, it's understood that real life comes first, it's just nice to know a headcount ahead of time Smile.

As always, if you know people that are A) nice, and b) consistent racers, please let me know who they are! I think all of us would love to see the server maxed out at 20 quality drivers if possible. I've sent out invites to quite a few folks I know, but for whatever reason a lot of them haven't signed up or gotten back to me about their availability. I only know so many racers, and I'm not willingly to compromise by advertising generally in forums.
    Jimmy Broadbent
    Admin

Post by Jimmy Broadbent on Wed 11 Sep - 11:49

Apologies but I likely won't be here for this race, my Mother has had a fall and is in hospital. I'll be at home looking after her.

Hope it all goes alrighty etc.

Anders Nilsson

Post by Anders Nilsson on Wed 11 Sep - 12:07

To bad to hear about your mum Jimmy Sad.Hope she will be ok and take care of her. Family first.

Chris James

Post by Chris James on Thu 12 Sep - 5:09

Likewise, best wishes to your mom Jimmy.

Chris James

Post by Chris James on Fri 13 Sep - 23:40

Was my penalty for hitting Cam?  Can you please explain what a back of the grid and 5 place penalty is? How many laps is this race? Thanks.
    John Bacho
    Admin

Post by John Bacho on Sat 14 Sep - 1:25

Chris James wrote:Was my penalty for hitting Cam?  Can you please explain what a back of the grid and 5 place penalty is?  How many laps is this race?  Thanks.
    Sorry about that, the end of my post got eaten up somehow! 49 laps for the Feature, 24 for the Sprint.

Aye, the penalty was for hitting Cam at Road Atlanta. Penalties like '5-grid places' and 'back of the grid' apply to the Qualifying session.

Chris James

Post by Chris James on Sat 14 Sep - 1:40

So I have to start 2 races with penalties? That seems like a really harsh penalty for only one accident. Keep in mind that after I hit Cam, I stopped on the side of the track and let every single car by, including Cam, so as not to take advantage of the situation...
    John Bacho
    Admin

Post by John Bacho on Sat 14 Sep - 1:44

Chris James wrote:So I have to start 2 races with penalties?
    You only have the one penalty from Road Atlanta. It only applies to the next race you do.

Chris James

Post by Chris James on Sat 14 Sep - 1:51

Oh, ok, so which is it? Do I start at the back of the grid or 5 places back? Sorry for ineptitude.
    John Bacho
    Admin

Post by John Bacho on Sat 14 Sep - 3:41

Chris James wrote:Oh, ok, so which is it?  Do I start at the back of the grid or 5 places back?  Sorry for ineptitude.
    Back of the grid Smile. Sry if it was confusing.

Chris James

Post by Chris James on Sat 14 Sep - 4:11

Oh, I see now, I ADD'd the word "respective" right out of that sentence. drunken  I get it now, sorry for all the hassle, and thanks for your patience.
    Jimmy Broadbent
    Admin

Post by Jimmy Broadbent on Sat 14 Sep - 14:10

Good news! I'm back and will be racing later Smile

Anders Nilsson

Post by Anders Nilsson on Sat 14 Sep - 14:25

Thats good news Jimmy Smile. Mum feeling better ?
    Jimmy Broadbent
    Admin

Post by Jimmy Broadbent on Sat 14 Sep - 14:35

Yeah she's all good now, just has a rather comical bump on her head :p

Hodgemonster

Post by Hodgemonster on Sat 14 Sep - 14:41

I'm sad to report that i won't be able to make it this evening, flatmates have arranged a poker night and apparently im going.  So this week im not just going to loose at racing, im going to be loosing money, oh joy.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 19 Sep - 17:16